Operation BearLove Good, Cancer Bad: Complete!
As of June 26, 2012, The Oatmeal creator Matthew Inman (pictured above) has raised $211,223.04 for the National Wildlife Federation and the American Cancer Society—above and beyond the original goal of $20,000.
Background from Inman’s IndieGoGo page:
Last year I wrote a blog post about another website called FunnyJunk which stole a bunch of my comics and hosted them on their website without giving me credit. They apparently didn’t like my blog post and recently FunnyJunk sent me a letter stating that unless I pay them $20,000 in damages they’re going to file a federal lawsuit against me. You can view the letter along with my response here.
Instead of mailing the owner of FunnyJunk the money, I’m going to send the above drawing of his mother. I’m going to try and raise $20,000 and instead send it to the National Wildlife Federation and the American Cancer Society.
I’m hoping that philanthropy trumps douchebaggery and greed.
FunnyJunk’s hired attorney, Charles Carreon, has since dropped the lawsuit against Inman’s fundraising, which Electronic Frontier Foundation (who represented Inman) has labelled “a classic SLAPP – a strategic lawsuit against public participation.”
A good day for intellectual property rights and free expression.
- asy-d likes this
- fishfingersandsouffles reblogged this from penamerican
- fishfingersandsouffles likes this
- abstract-i likes this
- hbelam reblogged this from penamerican
- lietenantdanicecream reblogged this from penamerican
- houndofibiza reblogged this from penamerican
- fictionthatmatters reblogged this from penamerican
- beneathbixbybridge reblogged this from penamerican
- fieldnotesfromabroad reblogged this from penamerican
- penamerican posted this